Preventive dental care is one of the most important things you can do for your health. At Bella Dentistry in Athens, GA, your dentist, Dr. Chanda Bennett, works together with patients in achieving their oral health goals. Let's care for your smile and prevent problems before they start.
Strep bacteria and an overly acid oral environment contribute to both gum disease and tooth decay, the leading causes of tooth loss in the US according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Largely, both periodontitis and cavities are preventable through proper diet and consistent oral hygiene.
Oral bacteria thrive in carbohydrate-based plaque and tartar. As the bacteria grow, they secrete damaging acids on gum tissue and tooth enamel. Limit how much starch and sugar you eat, and you begin to limit these destructive biofilms. Dear Doctor calls this balancing your oral environment a dynamic process that you can drive in a healthy direction.
Another way to keep your oral environment disease-free is at-home brushing and flossing. Twice a day gently and thoroughly brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride keeps the minerals in your tooth enamel strong. Also, floss daily to remove plaque and avoid tartar.
How your dentist can help
At Bella Dentistry in Athens, Dr. Bennett sees all her patients for a semi-annual examination and cleaning. She checks for decay, gum disease, oral cancer and more. Your hygienist takes digital X-rays, scales your teeth, and provides a refreshing polishing. She'll show you ways to improve your home hygiene practices, too.
Also, Dr. Bennett provides these preventive services:
- Fluoride treatments (simple varnishes painted on tooth surfaces to harden enamel and reduce dental sensitivity)
- Plastic sealants to coat grooved and pitted chewing surfaces, protecting them from destructive acids
- Scaling and root planing, a deep cleaning of teeth and gums which removes tartar below the gum line
- Periodontal maintenance to measure sulci, or gum pockets, and deep cleans the gum tissue
- Site-specific antimicrobial therapy which tests gum pockets for bacteria and instills medication to quell the infection
At Bella Dentistry in Athens, GA, Dr. Chanda Bennett joins with each patient in preventing oral health problems one smile at a time. Would you like a vibrant smile for life? Then, call for an exam and cleaning appointment with this experienced dentist and her caring team: (706) 546-7722.